Tuesday, May 14, 2013

MY RESTLESS EXPERIENCE



Being a restless volunteer has really changed my life and it has helped me discover some of the abilities that I have but did not know about. I have since been able to stand up for what is right and also help my fellow youths to voice their concerns on any issues affecting their communities so as to bring about a better Zambia were every voice is heard.
While on the Program, I volunteered as a National Volunteer with three other youths, one was also a National Volunteer and the other two were from England. We carried out most of our work in Chalata a rural area in Mkushi District. Our work included facilitating lessons on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Financial literacy. We also organised events such as awareness, Indaba and Tikambe. Workshops were also part of the Program and generally having talks with community members on problems affecting them. Still in the communities, we were responsible for running the youth friendly corner at the clinic that is giving advice to the young people on sexually transmitted infections or any other concerns that they had.
For our work to go well, we had to be in contact with the community leaders such as the Chief, Headman, Councillor, a Chiefs Representative, Heads of Schools and also Health workers at the Clinic. This made our work very easy in that we were able to hear the youths cry out and later addressed all their problems to their leaders who promised to change how things were run in the community and to get the youths involved in developmental issues, because looking at our population, most of the people are young and young people have the power and passion to bring about development in the country.
After going into placement and carrying all the work that I was required to do, I gladly say thank you to KF for introducing me to Restless Development because I know that I have achieved something from this Program that has brought a positive change in my life. I am now able to stand in front of a large crowd to address them on any issue. I have also improved my public speaking skills, gained confidence and courage. Once again my biggest thank you goes to KF for without it, I would not be where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment