Tuesday, May 14, 2013

RESTLESS DEVELOPMENT VOLUNTEER




During placement on the program, I learned how to appreciate people of different cultures and backgrounds’ more. In addition to that, my confidence levels have increased. This is due to the fact that I was a facilitator, the one needs to stand in front of people to talk to them and cat confidently.
The program offered a great opportunity for me to work with people. I lived with two internationals and one national volunteer. This created a platform of learning as we shared ideas. Eventually, this increased my teamwork abilities. In addition to this, I learned how to work with youths. This was after the formation of the youth group that I helped organize. These youths are keen into changing and developing their community. This made me realise the importance of involving young people in decision making and any matters that affect the nation at large. I got to realise this during our main events such as the Indaba, Awareness Raising and Tikambe. These are events intended to bring the community and decision makers together.
However, not all was successful we had some challenges. The first was Language barriers. This was so because not all pupils and the basic Schools could speak English and so this was a hindrance. Secondly, the College, our extension school, was against us teaching information on Sexual Reproductive Health, as they thought we would be encouraging immorality. The biggest challenge was lack of information. I felt the information given to us was not adequate. This was because of two main reasons, inadequate resources and the fact that most information was given to the advocates for action.

No comments:

Post a Comment